Dr.S.S.Prabhakara is Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering .He has received his Ph.D., M.Tech. from Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi and B.E. from University of Mysore. His teaching and research interests are in the field of Production
Academic and Co-curricular Responsibilities :
Worked as Member BOE for VTU, Member of Advisory board, QPDS coordinator, P.G. co-ordinator , Chief Coordinator-Time table, Deputy Chief Superintendent VTU Examinations, Alumni coordinator and Mentor
Courses Handled :
Manufacturing Process, Non Traditional Machining, Engineering Economy, Metrology & Measurements Elements of Mechanical Engineering, Computer Aided Engineering Drawing
Additional Responsibilities as per NAAC or NBA : QPDS coordinator, Member BOE for VTU, Department R & D Head, Time Table Coordinator, Mentor,
Journal Publication :
• S.S.Prabhakara, N.V.Raghavendra (2013), “Industrial Cluster and Technological Dynamism: Study of Bangalore Machine Tool Cluster”, International Journal of Business and Systems Research (IJBSR), 2013, Vol.7, No.2, pp.158-167. ISSN online: 1751-2018 ISSN print: 1751-200X
• S.S.Prabhakara, N.V.Raghavendra (2012), "Does Clustering of Enterprises Foster Technological Learning? : Insights from the Bangalore Machine Tool Cluster in South India" , International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2012 Vol.5, No.4, pp.408 – 426, Special Issue on: "Open Innovation and Technological Learning with Globalisation in Emerging Economies". ISSN online: 1753-1950 ISSN print: 1753-1942
• Experimental Investigations and Production of Methyl Ester Using Mahua Oil and their Performance in CI Engine, International Journal of Advanced and Innovative Research, Vol.5,Issue.5,pp. 143-148.
• Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Characteristics of KOME in CI Engine, International Journal of Advanced and Innovative Research, Vol.5,Issue.5,pp.149-155.
Conference Proceedings :• S.S.Prabhakara, N.V.Raghavendra (2011), “ Acquisition of Technological Capability in SMEs: A Case Study of Bangalore Machine Tool Cluster”, Presented at the International conference on Operational Excellence for Global Competitiveness, 3-5 February, 2011, R .V.College of Engineering, Bangalore. The paper won the best paper award.
• S.S.Prabhakara, N.V.Raghavendra (2011), “Industrial Clusters and Technological learning in SMEs : Study of Bangalore Machine Tool Cluster”, presented at the International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship (IE 2011), Singapore, 25-26 July, 2011.
• N.V.Raghavendra, S.S.Prabhakara, (2013), “Do Industrial Clusters Foster Technological Capability?: A Comparative Study Of Small And Large Scale Firms In Bangalore Machine Tool Cluster”, is published in International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2013 (WCECS 2013),San Francisco, USA, 23-25 October, 2013.
List of other Papers Published :
• “Wear Analysis of Single Point Cutting Tool during turning of Al-Si-SiC composite using Acoustic Emission Technique” has been presented and published in National Conference on Recent Trends in Condition Monitoring of Machines at NAMA Institute of Technology, Nitte March 2002.
• “Wear Analysis of Single Point Cutting Tool during turning of Aluminium-Silicon-Siliconcarbide Composite using Acoustic Emission and Vibration Measurement Techniques” has been published in International Conference on Industrial Tribology ,April 2002.
• “A New Role of Technical Education to Promote Basic Education for All” -Indian Society for Technical Education 36th Annual Convention & National Seminar at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathyamangalam, Tamilnadu. During 14 -16 December 2006.
• “Non Destructive Evaluation Techniques – a Review” has been published in National Conference on Development of Advanced Composite Components in Aerospace and Automobile Applications at BIET, Davangere, February 2007.
• “Social Work- A New Programme in Technical Education” has been published and presented in 37th ISTE Annual Convention and National Seminar-MIT, Manipal. During 18th December 2007.
• “Creating Awareness about Diversifying the Energy Sources by Technical Education System” has been published in 10th ISTE State Level Annual Convention & National Seminar at Acharya Institute of Technology Indian Society for Technical Education.
• “Water injection in an internal combustion engine - a review” has been published in National conference on Recent trends in Mechanical Engineering Science RTIMES-2007, at SIT, Tumkur During 15th - 16th November 2007.
• “Engaging Parents in Technical Education” has been published in 38th ISTE Convention & IFEES International Conference at Bhubaneshwar, Orissa. During 19th and 20th of December 2008.
• Paper Entitled “Gear Up Entrepreneurship and Sustainability with Technical Education for Meeting A Globalised Standard” presented and published in National Conference on “Managing Technical Education for Leveraging and Entrepreneurship” held at NITK, Surathkal, Mangalore, during 18-20th Decenber-2009.
• “Embossing Global Standards in Technical Education” has been published in 40th ISTE National Convention 2010 organized by MEPCO SCHLENK Engineering College, Sivakasi, Tamilnadu. During 24th of December 2010.
• “Effects of particle size and distribution on the mechanical properties of Al–Cu alloy reinforced fly ash composite by powder metallurgy” has been published and presented in International Conference on Engineering Technology and Science (ICETS’15), Muthayammal College of Engineering, Rasipuram.Chennai, during 5th to 6th March 2015.
Seminars and Conferences, workshops attended :
• FDP on Manufacturing solutions using Autodesk products & Autodesk fusion 360 held at BBIT, Bengaluru jointly organized by DBIT and CAPRICOT Tech. Pvt Ltd from 19.7.2016 to 23.7.2016
• Two days National seminar on “Emerging trends in Metal Forming and Heat Treatment” organized by Department of Mechanical Engineering, Acharya Institute of Technology with Advanced Forming Technology Center on 23rd and 24th July 2015.
• Two days workshop on “Effective Leader for Excellence” organized by International Academic for Enhancement, Bangalore from 19th to 20th December 2012.
• The one day National workshop on “Power generation using Bagaesse opportunities and challenges in India” organized by Department of Mech.Engg, Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore on 26th April 2012.
• National conference on “New trends in Mechanical Engineering”, NTME2011 on 21st October 2011 at Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• Participated in organizing a state level student symposium “YANTROTSAV” held on 12th May 2011 at Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• The one day “workshop on emerging trends in materials, manufacturing and design”, conducted on 14th March 2009 at Sri Krishna Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
Research Area :Production, Technolgy Management Tribology, Bio-fuels
• Presently Guiding 5 Ph.D. students under Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bangalore.
• He has chaired the technical sessions and also reviewed the papers presented at the National conference on Tropical Transcend in Mechanical Technology -2013 held at S.J.B.I.T, Bangalore on 4th May 2013.
• He had coordinated the exchange program “German Students on Exchange Program” for German students, University of Applied Science, Lubec held during 2nd April 2014 to 6th June 2014 at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore-560107.
• He had organised “AIT Alumni Knowledge Sharing Series” program for the students of Mechanical Engineering, Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore-560107 which is held on 6th September 2014.