Mrs. Sharmila R. S. is working as Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Don Bosco Institute of Technology since 2014 and has 17 years of teaching experience in teaching UG and 5 years in PG courses. She has received B.E Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from University of Mysore and M.Tech Degree in Digital Electronics (2nd Rank) from V.T.U. She also has a Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management from KSOU, Mysore.
She has Published 6 Research Papers in International Journal and 3 Papers in International Conferences and 1 in National Conference. She has attended number of Workshops On Digital Signal Processing, Emerging Trends in H R M for the Campus Selections, Soft Skills Training Programme, Image Processing, Microcontrollers, Random Signal Analysis, Research Methodology, Raspberry Pi3, and Electrical Energy Conversation.
She is best known to have and practice Problem solving skills, Numeracy skills, Written and verbal communication skills, Self-motivation and ability to take the initiative, Ability to work well under pressure, able to take on responsibility, Good organisation with attention to detail, Teamwork skills, Quick learner, keen to learn and improve skills, Creativity, Adaptability, Tenacity, Negotiation and persuasion, Leadership skills , initiative, dynamic, and proactive.
Sharmila is an expert on Digital Electronics and Image processing with an inclination to specialise these as applied to Power Systems Engineering.
Academic and Co-curricular Responsibilities :
Primary duties of faculty include effective classroom teaching, academic advising and counselling of students, participation in departmental committee work and curriculum development, applied research or scholarly activity, and service such as assisting in recruitment of students and initiatives designed to help students succeed academically, as well as other assigned duties like NBA co-ordinator for the departmental NBA activities, co-ordinator for SPARK-AURA students forum, participated as judge for different activities held in college cultural and technical fests.
Has organised national and international conferences, symposiums, seminars and workshops. Other responsibilities involves Class teacher, Seminar Co-ordinator, proctor, Time table Co-ordinator,Lab in charge, and Cultural Committee Chairperson, Magazine Editorial Committee Member, Training & Placement Officer, Single Point of Contact for Infosys Campus Connect Programme, Sports Committee Member, member of Anti-Ragging committee and Disciplinary committee at the institute level.
Courses Handled :
Teaching career started with Basic Electrical & Electronics Engineering and Computer Networks. Further it moved to handle versatile subjects both in UG and PG in Electronics & Communication Engineering department for a decade.
Sharmila has been well known for delivering a versatile set of courses such as Logic Design, Operation Research, Microcontrollers, Information Theory and Coding, Image Processing, Wireless Communications/ Mobile Communication Systems, Multimedia Communication, Power Electronics, Linear ICs and its Applications ,Transducers and Instrumentation/ Electrical & Electronic Instrumentation, Random Signal Analysis , Digital Telephony / Telecommunication & Switching, Industrial Economics and Telecom Regulations, Environmental Studies, Analog Electronic Circuits, Control Systems and Network Analysis for undergraduate courses. Advanced Embedded Systems. She has been an expert on Professional Communication and Ethics as well.
She has handled course delivery for PG students in E & C Engineering on Advanced Embedded Systems, Real Time Embedded Systems, Error Detection & Correction Codes, and Advance Embedded Systems Lab.
Since 2011, after she shifting to her basic domain of Electrical & Electronics Engineering department and the contents were delivered on High Voltage Engineering, Electric Power Generation, Testing & Commissioning of Electrical Equipments, Electrical Design, Estimating & Costing along with Logic Design, Operation Research, Microcontrollers.
In both the UG departments she has contributed to the practical understanding of various laboratories to the students such as Digital Electronics lab, Analog Electronics Lab, Power Electronics Lab, MATLAB and DSP Lab, HDL Lab, Relay & High Voltage Lab, Control Systems Lab, Network Analysis Lab, Random Signal Analysis Lab, Advanced Communication Lab.
Additional Responsibilities as per NAAC or NBA : NBA Co-ordinator, Time – table coordinator, Lab in charge, Departmental Forum Member, Short Term Programme / Seminar /Conference / Symposium Organising Member.
Paper publications and Presentation :
• T.C. Manjunath, Ashok Kusagur, R S Sharmila, Harish Patil, Inverse Kinematic Modeling of a 3- Axis Planar Articulated Robotic ARM (PLANBOT) International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics (AROB 13 - 2008), B-Con Plaza, Beppu, Oita, JAPAN Jan. 31-Feb. 2, 2008. Proceedings of the 13th IEEE-SICE-JARA ISBN: 978-4-9902880-2-0, Paper No. GS-19-3, pp. 795-798.
• Harish Patil, Raju Yanamashetti, .C. Manjunath, R.S. Sharmila . Design & Development of A 3-φ Reference Sine Wave Generator for A PWM Inverter Conference on Power System Analysis, Control & Optimization, Andhra University, Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India 13-15th Mar. 2008 Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Power System Analysis, Control & Optimization (PSACO-2008) pp. 399-406.
• T.C. Manjunath, Purnateja D Ghat, Harish Patil, Sharmila R S Design & Implementation of A Digital Gear Level Indicator International Conference on System Identification and Control Problems Institute of Control Sciences, Moscow, Russia Jan. 26 - Jan. 30, 2009 Proc. of the 8th International Conference on System Identification and Control Problems, SICPRO 2009 Paper No. 23005, pp. 579 – 584.
• Mohan Kumar, Sharmila R S OMAP 35XX Platform for Handset Application National Conference on Advances in Electronics and Intelligent Computing , East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore 02nd May 2011 National Conference on Advances in Electronics and Intelligent Computing.
• Harshitha. M R, Sharmila. R S, Dr. G. C Shivasharanappa, Dr. R. Prakash UPQC with Islanding and Grid Connection for Microgrid Applications International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, August 2016 Volume 6, Issue 8, , ISSN 2250-3153 p.No 214 – 221
• Sharmila R. S.1, Sunitha N. S.2, Aparna B R3 and Harshitha M R4 UPQC in Alleviation of PQ issues with Islanding and Reconnection for Micro-grid Applications International Conference on Current Trends in Engineering Science and Technology, ICCTEST – 2017, KUHOME, KASETSART UNIVERSITY, Bangkok, Thailand organised by BIT,Bengaluru, 5-7th Jan 2017 Proc. of Proc. of Int. Conf. on Current Trends in Eng., Science and Technology, ICCTEST – 2017 ISBN: 978-81-93-1119-5-6 Grenze ID: 02. ICCTEST.2017.1.77 P.No 452-459
• Rafi Ahmed Z, Vijayshree G, Sharmila R S and Sindhuja G Impact of additive DBDS on Leakage Current and DC Resistance of Paper-Oil Insulation in Power Transformers International Conference on Current Trends in Engineering Science and Technology, ICCTEST – 2017, Don Bosco Institute of Technology, 5-7th Jan 2017 Proc. of Proc. of Int. Conf. on Current Trends in Eng., Science and Technology, ICCTEST – 2017 ISBN: 978-81-93-1119-5-6 Grenze ID: 02. ICCTEST.2017.1. 15, p. 88-94.
Workshops / STTP/ FDP/ Seminar attended :
• Short term summer course on DSP at IETE, Bangalore Centre from 18th Feb to 3rd June 2001
• A 2 days workshop on Picopeta Computers on 30, 31 Jan 2004 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• A 6 days Faculty Training Programme on Advanced Electronics Laboratories from 10th to 15th Feb 2004 at R N S Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• A 3 days Faculty Training Programme on R F Measurements from 10th to 12th Aug 2005 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• A 3 days First Kannada Science Congress from 15th to 17th Sept 2005 at NAL, Bangalore
• A 2 days National Level Industry Institute Interface Workshop on Emerging Trends in H R M for the Campus Selections on 28,29 Oct 2005 at CIT, Gubbi, Tumkur District, Karnataka
• A 3 days National Workshop on Synthesis and Simulation of HDL from 28th Feb to 1st March 2008 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• A 5 days Soft Skills Training Programme at Infosys ILI, Mysore from 7 -11 Aug 2006
• A 2 days National Seminar on Globalization and Women, Its impacts, challenges and Opportunities at Osmania University, Hyderabad on 26-27 July 2008
• A 1 day Orientation Programme on Random Signal Analysis at Terna College of Engineering, Nerul, Navi Mumbai on 2nd July 2009
• A 2 days workshop on Insight - 09 at Infosys Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Pune on 11-12 Nov 2009.
• A 5 days STTP on Modern Trends in Digital Telephony from 11th to 15th Jan 2010 at VCET, Vasai, Thane Dist, Maharashtra.
• A 1 day National Level Workshop on PEOs and Outcomes on 5th March 2011 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• A 5 day Faculty Empowerment Workshop “Mission10X” Conducted by WIPRO Technologies at East West Institute of Technology from 14th to 18th 0f June 2011.
• A 1 day Workshop on MSP 430 at Ghousia College of Engineering on 24th Jan 2012.
• A 3 day Workshop on Image Processing at RVCE, Bangalore from 1st to 3rd January 2013.
• A 2 day Workshop on Research Methodologies & Technical Writing on 5-6 July 2013 at IISc, Bangalore.
• A 1 day Complementary Workshop on MATLAB 2013 by Math Works India Pvt. Ltd. On 17th September 2013 at Taj Vivanta, Bangalore.
• A 3 day National Workshop on Importance of Enegy Conservation in the present day Enegy Crisis at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bangalore from 29th to 31st October 2014.
• A 1 day Engineering Faculty Empowerment Programme on Formulation of Research Proposal under DST / DRDO/ ISRO/ DIETY Schemes on 30/06/2015 at M S Engineering College, Bangalore.
• A 1 day Seminar on Climate Change & Mitigation at Energy & Wetland Research Group Centre for Ecological Sciences, IISc, Bangalore on 31st December 2016.
• A 5 day Faculty Development Workshop on Raspberry Pi3 and its Applications from 18th to 22nd July 2016 at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• A 2day National Workshop on Accreditation Process for Technical Institutions on 26th & 27th August 2016 organised by JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bengaluru-560 060.
Workshops / STTP/ FDP/ Seminar/ Conferences organized :
• Organising member of 2 days workshop on Picopeta Computers on 30, 31 Jan 2004 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• Organising member of 3 days Faculty Training Programme on R F Measurements from 10th to 12th Aug 2005 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• Organising member of 3 days National Workshop on Synthesis and Simulation of HDL from 28th Feb to 1st March 2008 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• Organising member of the International Conference ICWET 2010at Thakur College of Engineering & Technology, Kandivali(E), Mumbai – 400 101 during 26th & 27th February 2010.
• Organising member of 1 day National Level Workshop on PEOs and Outcomes on 5th March 2011 at East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• Organising member of National Conference on Advances in Electronics and Intelligent Computing 02nd May 2011 organized by East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore
• Organising member of 5 day Faculty Empowerment Workshop “Mission10X” Conducted by WIPRO Technologies at East West Institute of Technology from 14th to 18th of June 2011.
• Organised National workshop on “Importance of Electrical Energy Conservation in the Present day Energy Crisis” held on 29th -31st Oct 2014 at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bengaluru – 560 074.
• Organising member of A 5 day Faculty Development Workshop on Raspberry Pi3 and its Applications from 18th to 22nd July 2016 at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• Organising member of International Conference on Current Trends in Engineering, Science & Technology- 2017 at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bangalore and KUHOME, KASETSART UNIVERSITY, Bangkok, Thailand from 5th – 7th January 2017.
Jury of Workshops / STTP/ FDP/ Seminar/ Conferences/ Competitions :
• Session Chair of a session in National Conference on Advances in Electronics and Intelligent Computing 02nd May 2011 organized by East West Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
• Jury Member of State Level Project Exhibition & Competition – Srishti 2016 held at CMRIT, Bangalore organised by Akhila Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, Karnataka.
Research Area :Her Research interest is focussed on Control Systems, Power Systems and Image Processing.
Consultation Project :For Tektronics (India) Pvt. Ltd., developed few basic set of experiments around Power Electronics Applications for Digital Storage Oscilloscope were built during the calendar year 2005
• State Level Award “Shikshana Jyoti Prashasti”, awarded by Trigger Youngsters Liberty Forum and BHSS, NCC Troop No 12, 7 Karnataka Battalion, Karnataka & Goa Directorate, NCC and Nobel Ex NCC Cadets.