Mrs Sowmya K S is an Associate Professor in the Department of ECE, DonBosco Institute of Technology. She is working in DBIT since 4 years. She has a total teaching experience of 14 Years. She has done bachelor's degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur under Bangalore University in the year 1999. She is GATE qualified and obtained Masters in Electronics Engineering from BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore under VTU in the year 2002.She holds Honours Diploma in Network centered computing from NIIT, Tumkur. She is pursuing PhD under VTU and her research speciality is computer vision. Her research interests are in computer vision and machine learning with a focus on visual recognition and understanding of human actions and activities, objects, scenes, and events. She is an active researcher, having presented her work in conferences of repute and published in domestic and international journals. She has worked as an organizing committee member for the three International conferences successfully organized by Department of ECE, DBIT. She has Guided more than 20 projects at UG and PG level.
Academic and Co-curricular Responsibilities :
Her passion for teaching made her to venture into academics. She has been successfully involved with many academic administration responsibilities in various capacities starting with mentoring the students and contributing significantly for the development of the institution by serving as Timetable coordinator, Project coordinator, Test coordinator and Lab In charge. She is also responsible for the development and establishment of DSP Lab, Microprocessor Lab and VLSI lab at YDIT Bangalore. She has also organized Workshop for Faculty and students on MATLAB, Embedded systems and IP using FPGA and has submitted Research proposals under VGST
Courses Handled :
She has taught courses on Signals and Systems, Logic Design, Computer Organization, Telecom and switching, Digital Image processing, 8085, 8086, network analysis, ITC, Multimedia communication, DSP algorithms and Architecture, Mobile communication, DSP, Field Theory and Basic Electronics for under graduate students , Digital Circuits and Logic design and Digital Signal Compression for post graduate students and taught Advanced Microprocessor Lab, Microprocessor Lab(8085), DSP Lab, Logic Design Lab, HDL lab, Analog Electronics Lab, Analog Communication + LIC Lab, CCN and DSP Lab and Microcontroller Lab
Additional Responsibilities as per NAAC or NBA :
She was the Course coordinator and In charge of Service and Maintenance Registers of Lab Equipments, , Overall Improvement and new program facility created and contributed to the Preparation of DAEC report
• Sowmya K S, Shilpashree S, “Enhanced database security using ECC, stegnography and watermarking”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Electronics and communication engineering, Volume -5 Issue 4 , ISSN 2278-909X
• Sowmya K S, Kalashree S, “A novel Algorithm for Exudates Detection using MATLAB” ,International journal of Advanced Research in computer Science and software Engineering, Volume -5, Issue 2 ISSN 2277128X
• Sowmya K S , Girija M K,”Multi-Biometric Person Authentication System Using Speech, Signature And Handwriting Features” , The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (IJES) Volume 3, Issue 6 , Pages 68-74, 2014, ISSN (e): 2319 – 1813 ISSN (p): 2319 – 1805
• Sowmya K S, Divyashree N P,”Design of stream cipher for Encryption of data using cellular automata”, IJIRSET, Volume 3,Issue 5, May2014,12926-12932.
• Sowmya K S, “HOG Based Contriving Individual detection”, International Conference on Current Trends in Engineering, Science and Technology ICCTEST - 2017 ,Conference Proceedings Grenze Scientific Society, Page No 855, ISBN: 978-81-931119-5-6,
• “HOG based Contriving Individual Detection” in the International conference on “Current Trends in Engineering, Science and Technology” organized by Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Banaglore on 5th January 2017.
• “Real time detection of Human and non Human parts from video surveillance systems”, in 2nd International Conference on recent trends in signal processing, image Processing & VLSI Organized by Dept of ECE, Don Bosco Institute of technology on 15th and 16th May 2015
• “A Review on Human Behavior recognition algorithms in video surveillance systems” ”, in 2nd International Conference on recent trends in signal processing, image Processing & VLSI Organized by Dept of ECE, Don Bosco Institute of technology on 15th and 16th May 2015
• “A Novel Eye Movement Recognition Algorithm using Video Occulography”, in International Conference on recent trends in signal processing, image Processing & VLSI Organized by Dept of ECE, Don Bosco Institute of technology on 21st and 22nd Feb 2014 (Best Paper award)
• “Moving object dynamics through image processing” in Doctoral Symposium, organized by Research & Industry Incubation Center, Dayananda Sagar Institutions, on 18th December 2008
Workshops Attended :
• Faculty Development program on “Research Trends in Image Processing and Hands on using MATLAB” Conducted by Dept of CSE, DBIT Bangalore from 20th – 24th January 2015.
• Courseware, Practical training and evaluations for Instructional Excellence in Intelligent systems under the Intel College Excellence program conducted at DBIT, Bangalore from 24th-26th Feb 2014
• Workshop on “Extracting the features of image by using the principles of MATLAB” at DBIT, from 3rd to 7th February 2014.
• Workshop on “Research Methodologies & Latex” at SJBIT Bangalore from 25th June to 27th June 2013
• One day Seminar on “Advances in VLSI Design” on 22nd June 2013 at DBIT, Banagalore.
• Five day Workshop on “simulation of wired and wireless network using NS2 tool” from 5th-9th june 2013 organized by Department of ECE,DBIT, Bangalore.
• Seminar on “Extracting the features of image by using the principles of MATLAB” at DBIT, on 15th March 2013
• AICTE Sponsored “National Work shop on Image Processing & Computer Vision” at Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore from 2nd to 4th June 2010
• Workshop on “DSP ARCHITECTURE AND ALGORITHMS” at RNSIT, Bangalore from 3rd to 5th August 2009 and many more
Research Area : Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence
• Qualified in GATE -2000.
• Best Project Award for “ Edge Detection and Image Enhancement” in the Final year Project Exhibition Conducted by the Department of Electrical Sciences, SIT during the year 1998-99
• Award of Appreciation for achieving cent percent result in the subject DCLD of MTech First semester in the VTU Examination held during the academic year 2013-14
• Best Paper Award for “A Novel Eye Movement Recognition Algorithm using Video Occulography”, in International Conference on recent trends in signal processing, image Processing & VLSI Organized by Dept of ECE, Don Bosco Institute of technology on 21st and 22nd Feb 2014 (Best Paper award)
• Guided BE Project “Swarm Robotics” which stood third place at Project exhibition held at RNSIT, Bangalore during the year 2014-15.